Searching for the right video production company takes hours of research and can easily become overwhelming. Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, there are hundreds of video production companies that pop up after a quick Google Search of “Video Production Company near me” and it’s hard to tell right off the bat which one is the right choice.
The last thing you want to do is settle for a company that doesn’t suit your unique video needs. You want your content to tell the perfect story, so it’s important to pick the right production company that can bring your brand’s story to life in an authentic and memorable way.
So, how do you know which company is the best fit for you?
At first look, most production companies all look the same…but they’re not. Here’s 3 tips we think are most important when deciding which video production company is right for you.
#1: Portfolio Check
This tip is crucial when deciding which company can get the job done for your needs. The most important questions to ask yourself when checking out a portfolio are:
- Are they capable of doing the work you’re wanting?
- Every good video production company has a diverse portfolio. Whether you are needing commercials, social media content, a short film, documentaries, feature films, etc—you want to hire a company that is capable of getting the job done.
- How does this company edit?
- You never want to hire a production company that doesn’t have editors capable of capturing your vision or ability to finish your project in a timely manner. As an editor, it is important to have diverse editing styles, precise clip timing, and eye-catching coloring. This will allow your video to stand out among the rest and we know that you want all of those aspects to be top notch. Be wary of groups where every video in their portfolio looks and feels the same.
- How do they tell a story?
- We have a saying: people remember stories, but they forget sales pitches. As a production company, telling a great story is only half the battle. You don’t want a video that feels like any company can just slap their logo on at the end of it. Whatever type of video you are needing, you want to make sure the company can clearly communicate your brand’s message in a creative, memorable way.
You ultimately want to make sure the company has a production style that fits with your vision. Critically examining their portfolio allows you to decide whether or not to reach out to the company for a quote, or move along to another vendor.
#2: Company Compatibility
Nothing is worse than a company that is hard to work with. Like any relationship, you want to have compatibility and be able to flow with the person you’re interacting with. Making a video should be a special, fun experience and should never be stressful. But no matter of “fun” makes up for missed deadlines or poor communication. This should also be the case when choosing which video production company you want to work with. So how do you figure out if the company is compatible or not?
- All production companies have cool cameras and gear, but how many are experts at managing projects and providing a memorable experience? When doing research, learn how the company communicates. A great company will ask the right questions and listen to the vision you have for your project. Communication is key and if a production company doesn’t manage this well, they’re adding unnecessary frustration to the project.
- Find a company that will set expectations and reiterate your goals for the project. A good production company will keep the client updated during the entire process. It can be stressful when you have a deadline approaching and you have no idea at what stage of the process your project is at.
Compatibility is important when deciding which production company to hire because there are a lot of different things that go into making a video. Choosing a production company that handles communication and expectations poorly will just cause your video to end in a big ol’ disaster.
#3: Budget Friendly
Video production can be a costly service, but more and more brands require video content to engage with their customers. Having a budget you stick to is great, but remember that a lot goes into video production so trying to find the cheapest company is not always the best idea. Finding a budget that works for everyone is one of the biggest deal-breakers, but it doesn’t have to be.
- You’ll never want a production company that isn’t clear on what will be expected when it comes to the money you’ll be spending. We get that transparency is important when dealing with video production and it will make you feel better in the end to know exactly where your money is going.
- Realistic quotes
- A great production company will give you a realistic quote for the services you’re wanting while working with you to make sure you are staying within your budget.
- Do they guarantee their work?
- What happens if the edit takes longer than expected or if additional creative development hours are needed? At Red Productions, we guarantee to deliver the project on time and on the agreed upon budget. If something within scope takes longer or costs more than we anticipated, we cover that cost. Look out for vendors who provide crazy low estimates, they’re likely to cut corners or increase costs half-way through the project.
There are a lot of different aspects that go into video production and choosing the right partner is important to getting the results you need. The ultimate litmus test is simply this: are you having fun with the project or are you stressed out? The right production company will make it fun, get rid of the stress, and create something better than you anticipated.